For as much as I try, I can not clear the clutter. It’s at the back door. It’s on my desk. My closets collect it weekly. My brain is even overflowing with clutter! And for some reason when the seasons begin to change my heart begins to race with anticipation of cleaning out all that clutter.
But alas, It’s hard and it’s a bitter subject. I’m grasping at straws to find the sweetness of clutter. My real problem is that I want to eliminate in one week what has accumulated in three months.
Problems require strategy and I pride myself in being a problem-solver! So today I wanted to share a simple strategy I’ve devised for taking the bitter blues out of my clutter dilemma and a tried and true clutter buster for your heart!
Simple Clutter Buster strategy for the home:(All things simple are 1-2-3, right?)
- Write down the areas of clutter that need attack and give them an order of priority. For instance my clutter areas include the garage, the laundry area, the pantry, the bedroom closet and my daughters room. My priority list puts the garage and laundry area as #1 because we have an upcoming float building event that needs to take place in our garage and my laundry area has to function daily for everyone to have clean clothes and towels. The pantry is number 2 because it’s still functional but needs a good cleaning and reorganization so that I know what’s on hand and what’s not. My bedroom closet and daughter’s room are number 3 because we still have a little time before the weather really changes and they will take the most time and help.
- Assign time! Determine how much time your job will take and assign that time on your calendar. Can the job be completed all at once or in increments? Be realistic. Set a timer. Don’t leave the space even if you need to put an item somewhere else. The three bag/box system is handy for this. 1- give away 2- throw away 3-put away. Take care of the boxes as soon as the clutter space is cleared!
- Celebrate! Really, this should not be overlooked. Conquering clutter is swwwwweeeeet! (See there! I found my sweet in the bitterness!)
That’s the 1-2-3 for the house, but I promised a clutter buster for the heart! Here are the three simple steps that can lead to the sweet release of mind clutter and the precious goodness of a rejoicing heart.
Simple Clutter Buster strategy for the heart:
- Open your heart to God and ask Him to search and clear the clutter: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.” Psalm 139:23-24
- Direct your thoughts to the things that produce peace. “…Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.” Philippians 4:8-9
- Release your anxieties in prayer. “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Philippians 4:6
And of course, there is a sweet celebration anytime we are able to dismiss things of the mind that create worry, doubt and lies!
Let’s join in and clear out the clutter.
Open up the spaces of our homes and hearts! Direct our attention to the things that are needed and release the unnecessary!
Fill our spaces with sweetness Lord!